Saturday, December 30, 2006

Our New Year's Eve Traditions


Every New Year's Eve, our family attends mass together to thank God for all the blessings he has bestowed on us for the year. We visit my in-laws who live just a few minutes away but we make sure that we are home before midnight. My family gathers for Media Noche or midnight meal. It symbolizes hope for a prosperous New Year.

A few minutes before the clock strikes twelve, we make sure that all the doors, windows and lights are open to invite good luck inside our home. Jules usually lights up some firecrackers to welcome the New Year and also to drive away bad spirits and bad luck. Everyone at home join in the merry noise making. My son and I contribute to the merrymaking by blowing cardboard trumphets and using toy drums. We also watch the fireworks display at the village clubhouse. Jules starts the car and honk its horns to symbolize a good working car for the rest of the year. Sometimes, we even get a full tank of gasoline for the car.

I remember when I was young, my parents would dress me in polka dot clothes because it symbolize wealth and prosperity. My brother and I were also encouraged to jump at the stroke of midnight so that we would grow tall.

Traditions that I have kept with me as I grew older are displaying fruits especially round fruits to symbolize wealth and eating twelve grapes at midnight for good luck in the twelve months of the year. We also put coins inside our pockets and jingle the coins at midnight for prosperity. I continue these traditions with my own family.

Have an exciting and wonderful New Year! Let's welcome 2007 with positive attitude.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40