Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Superstition: Don't Open An Umbrella Inside the House

There are so many superstitions in the Philippines. One of them is the belief that opening an umbrella inside the house brings bad luck. I have heard this superstition many times. When I was young, my grandmother, uncles, aunts and even my mom told me never to open an umbrella inside the house because it brings bad luck. When I asked them why, they couldn't give me a good answer. They said that it's an old superstition and there's no harm in following it. As a child I accepted it in blind faith. Years have passed and I have forgotten this superstition ... or so I thought.

My son's favorite fast food restaurant, Jollibee recently featured umbrellas as promotional products. Customers can present proof of purchase in order to buy any of the promotional umbrellas. I got Yohan a blue Jollibee kiddie umbrella. When I gave it to him in the house, he wanted to open it to see the design. The memory of the old superstition came rushing back into my mind. I couldn't believe that after so many years, I'm still bound to that superstitious belief that for me doesn't have any logical explanation. I asked myself, if that was the case, then why did I stop Yohan from opening the umbrella inside the house? Perhaps, deep inside, I just wanted to avoid any form of bad luck.

You might be curious as to what happened next. I asked Yohan if he wanted to buy some Choc-nut (local chocolates) at the nearby store. The sky was heavy with dark clouds so I told him to bring his umbrella just in case it rains. In the street, Yohan had the liberty to open the umbrella as much as he wanted.


post signature

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40