Friday, September 01, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I watched The Devil Wears Prada earlier today with Jules and Jacq at Festival Mall.

I haven't seen my dear friend Jacq for quite some time. It's always wonderful to spend quality time with someone you miss. As usual, Jacq greeted us with her smile and warm hugs. Jacq is one of my friends who loves showing her affection through gentle kisses and friendly embraces.

We all enjoyed the movie. Got out of the movie theatre with smiles on our faces. It was one of those feel good movies. It's a great comedy. I think Meryl Streep did a great job as Miranda Priestly, the most powerful woman in fashion who leads the team in Runaway Magazine.

I think there is some truth to the story. Sadly, there are some people who would go out on a limb just to follow the dictates of their bosses. I used to have a boss who asked a colleague of mine to run personal errands for him like going to the bank to pay personal bills, buying groceries and even pawning jewelry. I think it's pathetic when your boss makes a constant habit of ordering you to do personal errands that is beyond the scope of your duties. Lucky for me, that same boss never ordered me to do his personal biddings. Sometimes I wonder why my colleague was burdened with all the personal errands and never me. Not that I'm complaining. I'm actually relieved that I was spared but sometimes I wonder why. It has nothing to do with position because I was in the same level as that of the appointed erran doer. Another intriguing question left in the air.

In the movie, Streep orders her assistant to get hold of the unpublished manuscript of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter for her twins with the looming threat that failure to do so might as well connote not bothering to report back to work. Talk about pleasing the whim of one's children on the expense of your employee. Watch the film to find out if the impossible feat materialized. I wouldn't want to spoil the movie for you.

The movie showed various examples of lengths to which a person would allow himself to be humiliated just to keep a job. Most of which are the highlights of the movie. Streep gave an outstanding performance. I loved her in Death Becomes Her and I adore her more in this movie for her very effective role as a cold and domineering fashionista.

Streep's triumphant career is also her downfall. Behind the ice cold facade of a powerful career woman lies a broken heart. I guess when she made her career number 1 in her life, she failed to fill in her role as a wife and mother. She was revered in the fashion industry but she was a disappointment to her family. I think it's very sad that some successful women are very unhappy deep inside. They adamantly pretend that they are more than satisfied and happy with their lives but when no one is looking they shed tears and feel that they are alone.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40