Sunday, November 19, 2006

Holiday Meme

I saw this meme at Stacy's blog. I told her that I might do it too and she said she'll be glad if I played along.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I haven't tasted egg nog yet so that leaves me with hot cholocolate.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps every present that he leaves under the tree or inside the Christmas stockings.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? When I was younger, we had blinking colored lights. There was even a time when we had those Christmas lights with changing Christmas music. Now that I have my own family, our tree has white, non-blinking lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? My Dad used to hang them in our house before. We don't have one in our house now.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually, first week of December but we put up our tree and decors early this year because my son received several early Christmas gifts. We put up the tree so he could put his presents under it. :)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Every Christmas we always make sure we have ham and queso de bola (special kind of cheese). Every year, we have a different menu but ham and queso de bola are holiday staples.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: My dad, mom, brother, yaya and I would put up the tree together. It was a collaborative effort. It was always a great way to start the Christmas festivities.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My brother and I always wrote to Santa and he would often reply to our letters. We would get his letter together with his gifts on Christmas eve. One Christmas, I noticed that Santa wrote to us using my stationary. When I asked my mom, she told me that perhaps Santa wrote me a letter on the spot and used my stationary. My doubts started and I kept asking my mom about the truth. I guess she realized it was time to tell me the truth. I took it very well. My parents requested that I keep it a secret for my younger brother's sake so I kept playing along. It was fine because 'Santa' still kept giving me presents after that. :)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, we wait until Christmas Eve to open all the presents.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? My husband sets up the tree and puts the Christmas lights. My son and I help him put up the Christmas ornaments. My son puts the last crowning ornament - the angel on top.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I haven't experienced it yet but I would love to someday.

12. Can you ice skate? No, not at all. Even though there are ice rinks here for ice skating purposes, I've never tried it.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I can never forget the night I received my very first barbie doll. It was a present from Santa.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Spending time with family and close friends. Feeling the spirit of sharing all around me.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My mom's Crema de Fruta.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We have many holiday traditions that we practice but when I was younger, I particularly enjoyed going to Simbang Gabi or Misa de Gallo with my parents. Simbang Gabi lasts for nine consecutive days beginning December 16. Traditionally, it is held at dawn, but some parishes offer anticipated masses one night in advance. I remembering going to dawn mass with my parents and brother. We make a wish on the start of the Simbang Gabi because we believe that if we complete all nine masses our wishes will come true (and so far I always get my wish). After the mass, my dad would buy bibingka and puto bung bong (Filipino delicacies famous during Christmas season). Now that I'm married, I still carry on that tradition with my husband.

17. What tops your tree? An angel in white.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I feel more blessed when I give.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Pasko na Sinta Ko
It's a sad song but I like hearing it.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?? I like them because they are so colorful and pretty but I don't particularly enjoy eating them.

*** Anyone is welcome to play along. I'm sure Stacy would be glad if more people joined in the fun.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40