Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Thankful for Successful Surgery

I was jittery when I woke up Monday morning of last week. I knew it was the day of my minor surgery to remove the sebaceous cyst on my back. The surgeon suggested that I be sedated because it was too big for local anesthesia. The surgeon assured me that it was an easy procedure but deep inside I was still worried. I couldn't help but feel a little frightened. After all, I've never had an operation before.

I acted brave when hubby drove me to the hospital but deep inside I was trembling. I didn't know what to expect. We arrived at the hospital around 7:45 a.m. At the E.R. I was told that it was standard procedure for patients to ride the wheelchair going to the operating room (O.R.). It felt weird riding the wheelchair.

I had to say goodbye to hubby as I entered the O.R. Two young, friendly nurses greeted me. They helped prepare me for the operation. They also made it a point to check up on me every now and then while I waited for the surgeon and anesthesiologist to arrive. The latter arrived first. He asked me some questions like if I have any pre-existing conditions, drug allergy and food allergy. I must admit my ego was hurt when he said that I was probably not allergic to any food because I was fat. Ouch! He was trying to be funny but I didn't find it amusing at all. In fairness, despite that seemingly insensitive comment, he was kind to me during the whole procedure.

It was past 11 a.m. when the surgeon arrived, he apologized for letting me wait. He gave the nurse the go signal to bring me to the O.R. I felt even more scared when I saw another nurse lining up the operating tools. I just had to focus on something else. I said a silent prayer to God to keep me safe during the operation.

I was told to lie on my side. The anesthesiologist told me that my eyes were going to feel heavy. Then without realizing it, I was out cold.

When I woke up, I was a little disoriented. I thought it was already morning and it was time to wake up my son for school. After a few seconds, I realized I was in the O.R. The doctors were still there. I asked the surgeon if it was over. He smiled and said yes. I didn't feel a thing. I'm thankful that there was no pain at all. I thanked both doctors for taking care of me.

The doctors told me that I needed to rest for a few more hours before I could go home. My surgery was an out patient case. I looked at the wall clock and it was past 1 p.m. The doctors advised me to sleep for a while before they left. I tried but I couldn't sleep. 

Two other patients, a woman and a young boy were brought to the recovery room to join me.  The young boy was accompanied by his father. He was around 5 years old. I felt a pinch on my heart when I saw the little boy beside me. I remembered my son back home. I prayed that my son will always be blessed with good health.

I heard the boy beside me whimpering. His dad tried to comfort him. He told him not to cry anymore but the operation was over. When the boy heard his dad's soothing voice, he stopped crying.

It didn't take long before I was declared ready to go home. After putting on my clothes, I was wheeled outside where hubby was waiting. He kissed me and asked how I was feeling. I smiled and told him it didn't hurt at all. The doctor gave me prescription for antibiotic and pain reliever before leaving the hospital.

When I got home, I was so happy to see Yohan's face. He wanted to hug me but he knew he couldn't because of my operation. He told me that he prayed for me several times that day. I was really touched.

It has been more than a week now since the operation. I had to go back to the doctor several times during the past week for dressing change. I'm happy to say that my wound is healing well.

I'm very thankful that everything went smoothly. Thank you Lord for taking care of me.

 post signature


D@phneL@ur@ said...

Glad to hear that you are healing well after your surgery, Rach. Take care of your health!

sheng said...

Glad to know it was a painless surgery for you. Get well soon!

Kia said...

Glad that everything went well and smoothly, Rach! :)
I am sure your hubby and son are taking good care of you while your wound is healing :D

Photo Cache said...

it's quite scary to be wheeled into the OR, but so glad to hear you are healing very well.

Princess said...

Glad of the result of your surgery, Rachel. I can understand how you felt... scary... I know... but thanks for God's help. Hug and kiss Julles and Yohan for me. I am sure those were the longest minutes of their lives....
Take care...

Ebie said...

Hi Rach, I hope your recovery was fast. It seems like it was painless.

Take care!