Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo

Last Sunday, we went to Antipolo to hear mass at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage. Going to Antipolo church every month of May is an old tradition of hubby's family. We left the house before 5 a.m.

The drive from Batangas to Antipolo was smooth and quick. The traffic started as we approached the church. Parking was really tough. A guy in a white shirt helped us secure a parking slot in one of the nearby streets.  He ran along side our van as we made several rounds in the area.  He must be really fit to be able to endure all that running. To my surprise, he politely declined the tip from my brother-in-law. He just requested that we go to his food stand if we decide to buy suman and casuy (rice cake and cashew nuts) after the mass.  Suman and casuy are popular products of Antipolo.

The sight of the huge crowd made my knees weak. I doubted if we could get inside the church.

Slowly we inched our way near the church entrance. It was still early but the sun was already beaming its hot rays down on us.


We eventually managed to go inside the church. Luckily, my hubby, son and I were able to get some seats. Other family members had to go back outside because there were no more seats available. There were so many church goers that day.

Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, popularly known as the Virgin of Antipolo (Birhen ng Antipolo) rests above the pedestal. Many church goers ask Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage for blessings for a safe journey or passage (especially those who are going to another country). The image was brought to the Philippines by Don Juan NiƱo de Tabora in 1626. It was sculptured by Mexican craftsmen using dark hard wood similar to the Black Nazarene in Quiapo.


The Antipolo church has been a center of religious pilgrimages for three centuries.  One of the popular annual pilgrimages is the "Alay Lakad" from Quiapo Church to the Antipolo Cathedral.


There are LCD screens placed in strategic areas of the church so that people outside can still see and hear the on-going mass.



post signature

9 comments:

Lalaine said...

you're lucky to have your seat with those people.

Last time me and my family went to Antipolo was when I was still in college (I think).

Kayni said...

This church I have only heard about and never got the chance to visit. I love your photo of the sunrise.

Photo Cache said...

Is that just a regular Sunday or is that the Feast Day? That's way too many people for a regular Sunday I'm guessing, but since Birhen Antipolo is a stop for pilgrimmage, I wouldn't be surprised if that is a regular Sunday crowd.

Ebie said...

Although I have not been there, but I have heard people going to this church for pilgrimage.

The old churches and its architecture has been preserved.

BTW, I am blogging from my new website. Sorry for this late visit.

Eds said...

wow! daming tao. you are still lucky to find a seats ha.

nakaakyat kayo doon sa likod? namiss ko tuloy pumunta ng antipolo. 2008 pa ata ang huling punta ko doon eh

Unknown said...

Nice ... I don't think I'll be able to do that ... I'd collapse for sure kasi I can't handle crowds like that.

renin said...

wow! the church is so big and beautiful. with that crowd, your very lucky to find seats (you're blessed). At kelangang makapunta din ako dyan... ^_^

Alice said...

That's a lot of people! The church is beautiful, Rachel.

Tani said...

Nice pics, Rach. The last time I visited Antipolo Church was on my 30th birthday. I'd love to go there again and buy suman and cashew nuts. :)

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40