Monday, May 31, 2010

Lovely Dragonfly


When I was young I used to chase dragonflies.  These fast flying insects are amazing to watch in the air but they are more captivating when they land to rest.  When they stay still, you can appreciate their brilliant colors and their lovely transparent wings.

Dragonflies were so abundant when I was young. Dragonflies flying among the flowers and plants used to be a familiar sight but not anymore. Today it's a treat to see one flying in the garden.  Some say pollution has caused the dragonfly population to dwindle.  That's a sad thought. I hope these beautiful creatures will be resilient and be able to withstand the effects of modernization.


post signature

12 comments:

Reena said...

i used to catch them too! and natutuwa pa akmi pag meron magkadikit. syempre we didnt know they were mating pala. haha.

konti na nga lng ang dragonflies. that's a sad thought

Weng Zaballa said...

H iRAch. ginagawa ko rin yan nung bata pa ako lalo na pag summer :)

Julie said...

I love dragonflies, especially the "tutubing karayom" :D

P.S. I attached a blog post with a dragonfly :D

Mariposa said...

Ako rin! I used to that...well I still do everytime I visit the farm of my Grandparents.

katcarneo said...

I used to go chasing dragonflies, too. My elementary school was teeming with the huge brown ones called tutubing kalabaw. I never could catch them.

I loved the thin ones with bright colors, tutubing karayom they were called. They come in electric blue or neon green. I miss the old days.

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

it's a rare treat talaga even to photographers, gandang subject kasi yan eh

Ebie said...

I always wonder why I do not see a lot of dragonflies in the gardens. Even if I see one, it is hard to photograph.

He is one lucky dragonfly. This is one lovely red color.

D@phneL@ur@ said...

Nice shot! It's good your camera was handy to take the shot at the appropriate time :)

renin said...

wow! ganda.

witsandnuts said...

That's a rare catch! When I was in gradeschool, we used to catch and play with the dragonflies (and butterflies). Parang not possible na sya ngayon on ordinary days and places. We need to visit butterfly farms already.

Alice said...

That's a pretty picture, Rachel! I hardly see dragonflies anymore too.

Kia said...

Beautiful shot, Rachel! I have seen a few dragonflies last year after many years without seeing one. Lovely post, I really liked it! :) Big hugs from Scotland!

ss_blog_claim=b51e87937c706bf37c4aa8ee59fa3a40